Skip to main content

Every good turn deserves... at least a thank you.

I have a little sad story to share... About a month ago, I asked the cashier at my families favorite Chinese restaurant why they didn't have a web site? She said they were not real technical and would not know what to do and in a moment of community spirit I offered to put up a quick site up for them as a favor... no obligation just a bit of a thank you to one of the local businesses...

I was thinking that I help local inventors a lot but it's nice to do something for someone outside of inventing every now and then.

So  I went home and dared myself to do a site in less than 30 minutes...

This is what I came up with....

It's pretty basic... just a scan of the takeaway menu and a Google Map etc but it was fun to do since it was an opportunity to learn how to use the new Adobe Muse software.

As a favor I registered the .au domain tsangschinese.com.au and got it directing to the site at a $20-$30 domain reg and DNS redirect cost... thats all ok...

Then I proudly ring the restaurant to get the to have a look at the site... I speak to a girl there and she knows nothing about it (the girl I offered the help to hadn't mentioned it to her)... oooohhhh a bit disappointing... oh well I tell her the web address and leave my number and watch the visitor logs for the site to see when someone visits... a day goes past, a week then finally I call...

Obviously there is some mis-communication... maybe they lost my number... maybe.. I speak to someone and get onto the owner and here is how it goes...

Ric:" Hi there I was just calling to see what you thought of the web site I did for you..." (the logs showed no one had visited but I had forgotten that important fact)

Owner: "Oh yes.. its the takeaway menu isn't it?" (this means one of the girls I spoke to had probably told him)

Ric: "Yes I tried to make it look good and let everyone know your prices and your telephone number for ordering."

Owner: "Yes." (pregnant pause) About this time it was clear to me that a thank you was not going to be forthcoming.

Ric: "Well I was not expecting any money or anything but I was wondering what you wanted me to do to transfer the domain over to you."

Owner: "Well I'm not really a computer person so I don't know what to do with it.. so I really cant help you with that." (pregnant pause) About this time I was getting a bit cranky..

Ric: "Well it really is your property and it cost me $20 bucks to register for you so its not nothing." 

Owner: "As I said, Im not a computer person so I really don't know what to do." 

About this time it hit me that some people are so busy thinking that a little kindness is a veiled attempt to somehow get you to pay money that this guy can't see that its just a neighborly gesture... or maybe he just doesn't care.

Ric: "Oh look... sorry to bother you I have obviously wasted your time". And I hung up...

So here I am now, paying for a domain and a website that no one wants with such a bad taste in my mouth that Ill probably not eat Chinese Food for a long time...

But on the other hand I am probably spoiled. Nearly everyone else I have helped has been so genuinely thankful that its been a real joy for me to be able to say I helped them without charge...

The moral of the story, sometimes it doesn't work to surprise someone with a free gift... better always to ask them if they want it first so you make sure you don't waste your time and theirs when they really don't appreciate anything you do for them.

Comments

  1. Hey Rick

    Damn good thing you did. Maybe the guy is so non IT literate he has absolutely no idea what youve done.

    I think the site is perfect.

    Please continue to eat Chinese at this restaurant, one day it will occur to him (them) that what you did was amazing. If it doesn't then you are still left with the knowledge that you have done a fantastic thing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to contribute. Comments are moderated for fairness and language.

Real Time Web Analytics