Skip to main content

More on the location wiki project

Wow… a lot of feedback on the idea of a location based wiki but obviously I have not explained what the idea is because everyone seemed to miss the point…

To me wiki’s are two things:

  1. A communal resource for information and
  2. A convenient way for me to collect information conveniently for myself…

The idea of a location wiki is simply the ability to link a location to a page and the ability to search by location and not only keyword… ie a button at the top of the wiki that says find pages near here (where you are now)… to me the results would be presented in two columns…

1. Pages that have location identities that are nearby your current location irrespective of keyword and…

2. Pages in another column that are my private notes from pages with location ids that are nearby and sorted by distance from your current location…

So going into Byron I see:

On the public side of the page list – a picture and page of a street busker from last Thursday night, a review of a cafe two doors down the street, an event review of a swim that started up the street at the beach hotel…

And on the private side of the page list – a list of the names of workers at Cafe Mokha, the name of the parking officer who I talked to about an illegal parking detection technology I discussed with him 6 months ago, a note that the local cops love to frequent a smoothy shop down the road and that local band “Bourbon Street” got their first big gig at the local pub in Johnston street just down the block.

This idea just uses the local location services on the phone or iPad to make your loco wiki work for you on the basis of location… simple.

Comments

Real Time Web Analytics