Skip to main content

Simple home heating system

A home experiment I read a little while ago gave me the idea to try a simple home heating idea to combat the chill that creeps into the house where I live. The houses are designed for summer… open plan, elevated floors and lots of airflow, but in winter the cold is conversely effective in invading the house. Damp is also an issue as it rains year round here.

The solution? Not much is needed. Just enough to dry out the air a bit and to get the rooms warm for the first 4-6 hours of the night before hitting the sack… so here goes

image What I came up with is 100 meters of matt black painted aluminium tubing with two hoses and a fan. The fan keeps the circulation and recirculation going of the air and the black tubes are laid out on the roof connected by automotive hoses in a closed loop system. Tests will show whether it is worth the effort but it is my hope that ill get 5-7 degrees Celsius or 15 degrees Fahrenheit of warmth out of the system.

The only problem I see is that most other systems
I see have the tubes enclosed in a mini greenhouse to amplify the suns effect but I don't think this is feasible for a roof mounted system. I’ll see.

Comments

  1. Combination heating and cooling units are by far the most common found in residential homes today. The reason for this is cost. The duct distribution system is used for both heating and cooling.

    Heating & Cooling Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to contribute. Comments are moderated for fairness and language.

Real Time Web Analytics