Skip to main content

MS Project for personal goals and milestone management

I am a personal systems guy. I'm up to system number 4222.1 from my early days with DayTimer pocket books to the "What they don't teach you in Harvard" rolodex card system, to a custom filemaker database of to dos and projects to palm then treo then GTD then paper and round and round...

....and after all that one thing is true.

The most inspiring thing is to have a goal and to knock off the steps until you get there and to see how your actions affect WHEN you'll get there.

Enter Microsoft Project.

Not for corporations, not for business... just for plain personal goals.

I just started recently putting in a simple goal like "Having a 5 days holiday with my wife in Florence Italy" and using Projects many tools to prioritize and manipulate the various factors until I have a holistic view of the many things I'd love to do balanced with the things I have and need to do, to start to get a clearer idea of when there is chance these might happen....

This is especially rewarding when you can do scenarios where other things get in the way and your deadlines and milestone dates get pushed... it helps so much to prioritize and make good decisions...

If you like the idea I can share a template with you.. feel free to comment if you want and Ill send you one...

10/6/08: Due to popular demand a template for what I am talking about is available here.

Click here to see some notes about the template.

Comments

  1. Hi Ric,
    Can you send a template based on personal goals using MS Project?
    Thanks,
    Serg

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great. I used MS Project occasionally at work but never thought of using it for personal goals. I have been trying to create something in excel for developing and tracking personal goals but haven't got too far. I would love to see your template.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ric,
    I'd love to try out your MS Project template. Like you, I have tried lots of systems and I think I'm ready for this!
    BTW, I'm new at this, I'm hoping my email comes your way with this comment.
    -Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ric,
    I think I just figured out how to leave my email address, in case you can still send me your MS Project template.
    Thanks again,
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the interest... as you will see Ive now included a template and a link to a notes graphic for you to use... cheers. Ric

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please feel free to contribute. Comments are moderated for fairness and language.

Real Time Web Analytics