Skip to main content

Philanthropy

Its a bit confusing for people to hear about a guy winning a $388 million dollar law suit against Microsoft, then having it reversed by the judge, and then going to appeal. The everyday bloke probably thought it would be like having it in the bank and then having it ripped out.

But big business is not like that. Firstly it's a team of people that win court cases. For the little percentage that comes to me to actually arrive takes years if at all given that most companies in the States never pay dividends.

So where does this leave Ric.

Well, I like to see justice done. If someone wrongfully takes advantage of another person, especially illegally, then they ought to be made to pay. As the inventor of Uniloc, I like the satisfaction of getting some of the proceeds from a court win. But this does not mean that i want to change what I do every day.

I have been privileged to do a job I enjoy to make a living. And until I retire, if ever, I intend to keep doing the same thing. Karen and I have a cause that is first priority in our lives and whatever resources we have over looking after our immediate family, and to some extent our extended family, will be directed towards the interests of the cause. We prefer to keep the nature of the cause we support to ourselves. It's not for everyone to know about and discuss. It is our private business.

Also being a philanthropist is hard work! Trying to keep people from abusing money. Trying to make a difference is so hard where there is so much corruption and mismanagement even when there is sincere intent in the most part.

Unfortunately I have also learned that money rarely solves any real problems. It can be handy to get yourself out of a bad situation, but you also have to be real smart just to make sure that money doesn't get you into trouble.

So for these and many other reasons, Ric Richardson has decided not to be a philanthropist.

Comments

Real Time Web Analytics